Every great role has an equally great sidekick, and I like to call this one the Kimmy Gibbler of casseroles. It’s a perfect addition to any feast, comfort food on a bad day and even makes great leftovers. My mom has been serving up this classic since I was a kid, rolling up my jeans, roller skating around the neighborhood and watching Full House on TGIF. Maybe this is how she got my brothers and I to eat broccoli as kids?
Fast forward a few decades and I love that this dish is easy with only 7 ingredients, can be prepped ahead of time and frozen (uncooked) for later.
Steam broccoli for 15 minutes or roast for 25 minutes at 450º. After cooking the broccoli, set oven to 350º and butter the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish.
Mix the mayonnaise, cream of mushroom soup and egg in a mixing bowl. Add half of the cheese and all of the broccoli.
Pour the mixture in the casserole dish.
Crush crackers and butter in a small mixing bowl. Layer the remaining cheese on top, followed by the crushed crackers.
Bake at 350º for 35 minutes.
Mom’s Broccoli Casserole
- 2 lbs. broccoli
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 15 crackers (such as Ritz)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 12 oz. cream of mushroom condensed soup (such as Pacific)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350º and butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Steam the broccoli for 15 minutes.
- Mix soup, mayonnaise and egg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add half of the cheese and all of the broccoli.
- Pour the mixture in the casserole dish.
- Add the remaining cheese on top.
- Crush crackers and butter in a separate small mixing bowl and layer on top of cheese.
- Bake at 350º for 35 minutes.